Medical Specialty >> Gynecology

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

Back to Gynecology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/14/2017.

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: Spotting, cramps, distended abdomen = is it adenomyosis?

 papillon - Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:48 pm

Before my pregnancy I was diagnosed with having endometriosis - I had a laparoscopy which made the symptoms go away. I had a healthy pregnancy and delivery in April 2007.

In August of last year, I went to my doctor due to pain over my right ovary. he sent me for an ultrasound and then they wanted to send me for an mri. i had the mri in january. the mri says that the findings are consistent with adenomyosis however my symptoms seem to be getting worse. The mri also stated that it found traces of free fluid - i don't know what that means.

I am spotting more and more, i am being woken up at night with cramps which I never had before and this is not even when menstruating. my mother commented that i looked pregnant which i am not - my abdomen seems swollen or distended. i am having lower back pain on and off - unrelated to my period. i am starting to get occasional left side pain and i am having trouble going for bowel movements - i am not constipated - it just seems very difficult to evacuate. i will then bleed vaginally after a bowel movement. i also feel nauseous now.

i am unsure of what i should do next? i am really not sure what my mri results really mean - my doctor is not a gynecologist and was not even too sure of what adenomyosis is.

any guidance would be greatly appreciated.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat May 23, 2009 11:33 pm

User avatar Hello,
I would recommend seeing a gynecologist. Take your records, or have them sent to the specialist. If you don't have one, ask your doctor for a referral. You want to get an accurate diagnosis and treatment.

If it is adenomyosis, this means the uterine lining is growing into the muscular walls of the uterus. Your symptoms are consistent with this condition but there could be other causes as well. There are treatment options to help you feel better, such as anti-inflammatory meds or hormones, but the only real cure is hysterectomy. Your doctor can explain your options once a definitive diagnosis is made.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us