Medical Specialty >> Gynecology

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

Back to Gynecology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site. 

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/14/2017.

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: The morning after pill & menstrual cycle

Nichole03 - Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:18 pm

I currently took the morning after pill a day after having unprotcted sex around the 18th or 17th or april. It has been maybe a week and a half and at first my discharge seemed to be little to none. Then it appeared normal as usual, but now it has turned a light brown. It has been this way for a few days. I have pain in the left side of my hip...? And when I go to use the restroom I have a hard time pooping, but before I had trouble, I had diarehha...My period isn't due until around the 9th of May but my cycles usually are irregular occurring a few days before or after the "scheduhled" time. I'm wondering if the morning after pill could cause me to mensturate early...Or if I should grab a pregnancy test...? I know that brown discharge is a sign of pregnancy and that the morning after pill contributes to some ectopic pregnancies...? help.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Fri May 01, 2009 1:27 pm

User avatar Hello,
Yes, this strong hormone can definitely affect your cycle both in timing, type of discharge and other side effects. I would expect the pill to have been effective, taken soon like you did. There are many causes of abdominal discomfort and bowel-related problems such as diarrhea and constipation, with cramping, is quite common.

Ectopic pregnancies occur 6 to 8 weeks after a missed period so you can pretty much rule this out if the sexual encounter only occurred April 17-18. A home pregnancy test is usually reliable a week after the missed period.

If pain continues, you will want to have it checked out but I would not be alarmed at the bleeding. Brown blood usually means old blood that wasn't eliminated with the last period.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us