Question: Blood in toliet

POORMAN - Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:40 pm

I need help, I have a question. I had a bowel movement that was hard to pass 4 days ago, 2 days later when I had to go again there was some blood in the stool and on the toliet paper, and again today. It hurts when going bathroom but not after or any other time. How long can I wait before going to the doctor. I am very scared and shy about them parts of my body. Please answer my question.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Fri May 01, 2009 1:03 pm

Red blood like this usually is lower rectum trauma. Constipation is usually the cause of difficult-to-pass bowel movements. It can also cause little tears or even internal or external hemorrhoids that result in blood when using the bathroom. This will heal but you should cure the problem; not just deal with the symptom.

Regularity can be achieved with adding extra water and fiber intake. Fiber rich foods such as whole grains, fruits, vegetables, beans will help and you can add fiber in the form of Metamucil. Get daily exercise - perhaps walking and give yourself some bathroom time every day, usually after a meal. Have reading material and give your body time to do its work without feeling rushed. Our minds have a tendency to delay this when it is not convenient so train your body to know there will be adequate time.

If you need a mild laxative sometimes such as Miralax, you can use this but try to avoid heavy laxative use. The above measures should help to avoid this and it will probably stop the bleeding. It is worth it to avoid hemorrhoids in the future!

POORMAN - Fri May 01, 2009 7:10 pm

I understand it is either a hemrrhoid or anal fissures, im starting to lean towards anal fissures because it don't itch or hurt. The other time i feel a sharp pain is when i am having a bowel movement. Does that sound like its just anal fissures, would it be okay if i increased my fiber and water intake and took sitz baths every night for a week before i decide to go see a doctor? Thanks for the help so far please write back.