Medical Specialty >> Gynecology

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

Back to Gynecology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/14/2017.

Forum Name: Obstetrics

Question: .5 beta hcg at 6 dpo, could it be really early pregnancy?

thomhl85 - Fri May 01, 2009 12:36 am

I work at a hospital lab and my husband and I are trying to concieve. I started having really bad breast tenderness at about 4 days past ovulation. Today, 6 days past ovulation, I was at work and had them draw blood and run a beta hcg quant. Mind you every time I have ever ran one before it has been 0.0, but today it was 0.5. I know that anything under 2 is considered not pregnant, but I am once again only 6 dpo. I was wondering if there is a chance if I could be pregnant, just very early. I heard you can have traces of hcg in your blood before implantation, then after, it will rise more rapidly. Is this true? Just wondering if there is hope...:) Thanks
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:24 am

User avatar Hello,
It would be impossible to say at this point. The absolute value really isn't important, as this will vary considerably, but the rising values determine pregnancy. I would suggest patience here. This is not something you can know instantly.

Good luck in your efforts to conceive, but try to relax and enjoy the ride.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us