Question: no baby in sac

tracy9282 - Thu Jan 27, 2005 10:13 am

i am suppose to be 10 weeks and 4 days pregnant i went to the doctor last friday 1-21-05 and did an ultrasound and they said they did not see the baby. my ob did not seem worried and did not look for the heartbeat or draw blood to check the hcg. he said that i was more then likely just not as far as we thought but there was a chance i could be in the process of a miscarriage. i just wanted to know the the chances of the baby being ok. i have a tilted uterus and have heard that sometimes causes you to not be able to see the baby. has this happened to anyone can someone please help me? my next appt isn't until monday 1-31-05
 Theresa Jones, RN - Fri Jan 28, 2005 6:13 am

User avatar Hi tracy9282,
If you are not quite as far along in your pregnancy as suspected (under six weeks) an ultrasound would not be able to definitively show a baby, heartbeat etc. This may be why your doctor stated that you may not be as far along as suspected. Sometimes it is also difficult for an ultrasound to pick up certain images in women with a "tipped or tilted" uterus. Most generally in cases such as these a transvaginal ultrasound is used and visualizes structures a little more closely. Have you had any problems with the pregnancy to present (bleeding, etc.?)