Medical Specialty >> Gynecology

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

Back to Gynecology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/14/2017.

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: Sperm Allergy

 treesalt - Sat May 02, 2009 4:33 pm

After years of tests for yeast infections and herpes (though I've only ever been with my husband), I think that my problem is a sperm allergy. Some of his semen got on my skin and I got hives right away in only that area. We have two kids and were considering a vasectomy. Would a vasectomy help with a sperm allergy or will we still have to go through the desensitization process?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Thu May 14, 2009 4:53 pm

User avatar Hello,
The vasectomy will not help since semen continues to be produced even when sperm are blocked. This is why men can continue to enjoy sex following the procedure. I'm sorry there is not an easy solution for you.

Good luck.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us