Question: Bleeding during my last trimester

Dalia - Mon May 04, 2009 5:49 pm

Hello. I had a problem when i was pregnant. i started bleeding on my 8th month and 9th month. The doctor said its because of a small separation of the placenta. why did this happen??will it happen again if i decided to get pregnant??Is there away to prevent it from happening??is it dangerous??

Thank you
Regards,
 Debbie Miller, RN - Thu May 14, 2009 2:15 pm

A small separation is usually not serious. Sometimes it occurs early in pregnancy too and we have to adopt a "watchful waiting." It cannot be prevented but I would not expect you to be any more susceptible to it next time simply because you had it before.

Anytime you bleed, especially in later pregnancy, you should notify your doctor in case the placenta is positioned very low or even covering the cervix. Extra cautions are usually indicated in that case. Usually the area heals over without problems for the baby or mother.