Question: Pregnant or anxious?

jterry - Sun Jan 30, 2005 1:03 pm

I am 25 and my husband and I just started in December to start trying to have a baby. I went off the pill and did not get pregnant in December. The first day of my last period was Dec. 23. I typically have a cycle of 28 days. It is now the 30th of January and no sign of it yet. I have taken so many pregnany test and they have all come back negative. I spoke to my mom and she said when she was pregnant she had really low levels of HCG, so she always had negative pregnancy tests, but when she went to her doctor, she would be pregnant. Are low HCG levels hereditary? I don't want to become disappointed, so I wanted to know when is to eary to go to the doctors. I just went off the pill so I could just be running late, but I've been having unfamiliar symptoms- are these signs of pregancy, last week I ate regulary and had horrible heartburn, I have never in my life had heartburn before and last night I had it agian. I've been constipated and been eating regularly. Also, I've been very fatigued. My breast are not tender but are the ones I 've listed signs of pregancy with in the first 6 weeks, or is that too premature? When should I make an appointment to see a doctor, or should I wait?
 TheShoelessWonder - Sun Jan 30, 2005 1:41 pm

Hi Terry, first off, congrats on deciding to have a baby! Hope things go well for you. =)

Regardless of the fact that your periods seem to be so regular in their appearances, the fact that you have just recently gone off the pill suggests that a late period would not be uncommon. With the sudden change in hormonal levels, it can take your body anywhere between 1 and 3 months to re-start its own hormone production and get back into its natural rhythm. I'm hoping for you, but don't get your hopes up too high.

As for the hCG levels, I'm unsure as to whether or not low levels are hereditary, but if you would like, you can try testing first morning urine, when the dilution by fluids should be at its lowest point in the day. The presence of hCG is supposed to double (approximately) every two days, and this might also help you if your levels are low. I would wait another two weeks or so and if your period has not come around, either test your urine again or see your doctor.

Heartburn, constipation, and fatigue are certainly common early pregnancy symptoms- the heartburn is caused by the uterus swelling and pushing upwards as it grows and the increasing levels of hCG also slows down digestion and allows for an increase of stomach acids. Constipation is caused by pregnancy hormones slowing down bowel functions to optimize the absorption time of vitamins and nutrients. Unfortunately, constipation usually only worsens as pregnancy advances. Fatigue I think is self explanatory.

Hope I've helped at least a bit. If you have more specific questions, you're welcome to post again or email me and I'll be more than happy to help (I've done extensive studying on the topic for a few of my aunts). I've had periods delay for more than six weeks simply from a change in hormone levels due to a sudden increase in exercise, so I would wait at least another few weeks to ask a doctor. Good luck.

-Shoeless
 jterry - Sun Jan 30, 2005 2:21 pm

SO is there still a chance that I am pregnant, even though the tests resulted in negative? Could my HCG levels just be low?
 TheShoelessWonder - Sun Jan 30, 2005 2:32 pm

Sure it's possible. Both the fact that your mother had low HCG levels and the fact that this is still a bit early in the potential pregnancy show that there is a possibility that the tests simply aren't doing their job. You have some symptoms and you report that they are irregular, especially the heartburn, which also means there might be a factor that induced them. Still, don't get your hopes up too high for at least another week or two. Going off the pill does funny things to your hormone levels and you may just be experiencing side-effects.

There's a chance. Monitor yourself over the next few weeks and see what happens.

-Shoeless