Medical Specialty >> Gynecology

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

Back to Gynecology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/14/2017.

Forum Name: Obstetrics

Question: Postpartum sex (Pregnancy?)

Flashercat - Mon Jan 31, 2005 8:55 am

Does anyone know can you get pregnant during postpartum before your 6th week check up? Example you had your baby then 4 weeks later you had sex. When do you start to wonder if you are or not? When is your first period? How long should a person wait to see their first period and what if it doesn't show? What is a good estimate of time to wait before you get tested to see if you are pregnant or not? :shock: :? :cry: :oops:
 Theresa Jones, RN - Mon Jan 31, 2005 10:32 am

User avatar Hi Flashercat,
It is quite possible to become pregnant during this time period if one has unprotected sexual intercourse. This is because approximately 50% of women begin ovulating again prior to the return of their menstrual cycles. Although some women's menstrual cycles are temporarily irregular after giving birth, generally speaking cycles usually resume with in 6 weeks of delivery.
Sincerely,
Rntdj
 Flashercat - Mon Jan 31, 2005 5:46 pm

Rntdj
Thank you for answering my question.

I would also like to know when does your first period start? When should I start to wonder if I did become pregnant? How much time should I wait before becoming worried about it?
I stop bleeding after birth 3 1/2 weeks. I haven't had first period yet I am now 6 weeks after given birth.
 Theresa Jones, RN - Tue Feb 01, 2005 4:54 am

User avatar Hi Flashercat,
Generally speaking, if you are not nursing, the time frame for return of menstrual cycles is 6 weeks after delivery but in some cases it may be up to 12 weeks. When you go in for your postpartum evaluation your doctor may want to do a pregnancy test (just to be certain) prior to starting you on birth control.
Sincerely,
Rntdj

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us