Question: Postpartum sex (Pregnancy?)

Flashercat - Mon Jan 31, 2005 8:55 am

Does anyone know can you get pregnant during postpartum before your 6th week check up? Example you had your baby then 4 weeks later you had sex. When do you start to wonder if you are or not? When is your first period? How long should a person wait to see their first period and what if it doesn't show? What is a good estimate of time to wait before you get tested to see if you are pregnant or not? :shock: :? :cry: :oops:
 Theresa Jones, RN - Mon Jan 31, 2005 10:32 am

User avatar Hi Flashercat,
It is quite possible to become pregnant during this time period if one has unprotected sexual intercourse. This is because approximately 50% of women begin ovulating again prior to the return of their menstrual cycles. Although some women's menstrual cycles are temporarily irregular after giving birth, generally speaking cycles usually resume with in 6 weeks of delivery.
 Flashercat - Mon Jan 31, 2005 5:46 pm

Thank you for answering my question.

I would also like to know when does your first period start? When should I start to wonder if I did become pregnant? How much time should I wait before becoming worried about it?
I stop bleeding after birth 3 1/2 weeks. I haven't had first period yet I am now 6 weeks after given birth.
 Theresa Jones, RN - Tue Feb 01, 2005 4:54 am

User avatar Hi Flashercat,
Generally speaking, if you are not nursing, the time frame for return of menstrual cycles is 6 weeks after delivery but in some cases it may be up to 12 weeks. When you go in for your postpartum evaluation your doctor may want to do a pregnancy test (just to be certain) prior to starting you on birth control.