Question: Cofused about Smear Test Result

Trixie1 - Fri May 08, 2009 8:52 am

Dear doctor.
I received my smear test result and it showed:

Normal Smear
Degenerative cellular changes also noted.

Can you please explain what it means?

Thanks so Much
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat May 23, 2009 11:03 pm

It is important to keep in mind that the pap smear is a screening to rule out abnormalities that might be of concern. If anything is out of the ordinary, follow-up exams, tests or repeat smears are ordered. Usually this refers to cell changes that are benign (nothing to worry about). Since the pap was normal I would say the pathologist has simply made note that there were "different" cells present but that they are not the kinds of changes associated with infections or cancer.

If you ever have questions about lab results, you should not hesitate to ask your doctor for a complete explanation.