Medical Specialty >> Gynecology

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

Back to Gynecology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/14/2017.

Forum Name: Obstetrics

Question: prenancy

jtlivewire05 - Wed Feb 02, 2005 12:26 am

last week at my doctor measured me at 35 weeks now this week i am measuring at 33 weeks how and why could this be?
 Shelly S, RN - Wed Feb 02, 2005 10:03 pm

Hi there,

At times, your measurements can vary per appointment. It is usually harmless, and there could be a lot of reasons for the change in centimeters. First off, when a different doctor or nurse measures you, their number could vary from the previous person's number. Also, if the baby is in a different position, that could also vary the number.

Usually, the number in centimeters will match you number in weeks but could vary by +2 or -2 centimeters.

Hope this helps,
Shelly, SN
 Dr. R. Kothari - Wed Feb 02, 2005 11:46 pm

Hi
The difference in measurements could be due to any of the following:
1. Different people measuring
2. the fetal head getting engaged, thereby reducing the fundal height.

A sonography could accurately estimate the gestational age, however as the pregnency
advances the measurement have a +/- 2 weeks variation.

Hope this helps.

rhk

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us