Medical Specialty >> Gynecology

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

Back to Gynecology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/14/2017.

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: period problems

 Guitarbabe2007 - Tue Jun 03, 2003 10:33 pm

I am 14 years old and I have had my period since when I first turned 12 but it has been really messed up lately. I will get in like after 4 months or so but only sometimes. The last time I had it was in the beginning of January and it is June and I haven't had it. My older sister has polysystic ovarian syndrome and she found out she had it about my age. I don't know if I have it too. I really don't want to go to the gynecologist it freaks me out a lot but should I? Please help!

 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Wed Jun 04, 2003 3:33 am

User avatar Heather,

I think you should go to a gynecologist. He/she will request a ultrasound scan and a blood test if its appropriate. The reason being that polycystic ovarian syndrome can run in families. You may not have it but it should be ruled out.

Here's some information on the doctors lounge about PCOS which you may find useful:
Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome

It should be noted that period irregularities are common in the first few years of menstruation.
After you've visited your gynecologist tell us the results here.

Best of luck.
 Guitarbabe2007 - Wed Jun 04, 2003 2:34 pm

Is there any way I can learn more about the gynecologist before I have to go? I am really nervous about going to doctors in general and I am not exactly thrilled about having one look at me "down there" I am only 14 and I don't really know what exactly they do to you at the gynecologist. Can you explain or something? PLEASE! I am not sure if I am ready to go or not I am freaked!

 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Wed Jun 04, 2003 7:49 pm

User avatar Dear Heather,
I understand your concern about visiting a gynecologist especially at your age. Some fell more comfy visiting a female gynecologist. Ok lets take this one step at a time. You may be able to avoid a gynecologist altogether. Go to your family doctor/ general practitioner he can easily request an ultrasound scan of the ovaries which wont be too embarrassing. He may request a blood test. This could exclude polycystic ovarian syndrome without having to go to the gynecologist. If he sees it necessary he would have to refer you to a gynecologist. You can always express your embarrassment to your doctor thats his problem not yours.

Just to answer your question about what to expect in a gyne exam heres a link to get you started:

Your first visit to the gynecologist

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us