Medical Specialty >> Gynecology

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

Back to Gynecology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/14/2017.

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: Pain during Intercourse

 ANH124423 - Tue May 12, 2009 1:20 pm

I am 21 years old and I have been having deep pain, along with a swelling sensation in my vaginal canal during intercourse for the past year. I have seen a gynecologist and she thought all my symptoms were endometriosis. She did a Laparoscopy and found nothing. She wants me to go see a GI specialist now and if they don't find anything she wants to try hormone replacements. I just don't think that what is wrong with me has anything to do with my GI. I have the pain during intercourse, but also have hot flashes,and painful sometimes irregular periods. To me I have most the symptoms of endometriosis. I have read so many things that could be wrong with me and none of them have mentioned anything to do with a GI problem. I just want to know if there is any advice or any thing that you might think could be wrong with me. I am desperate at this point, I haven't even been able to have sex for a year now with my own husband!!!!!
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:37 pm

User avatar Hello,
A year is definitely too long for you to wait for help. I would seek a second opinion with another gynecologist since you feel confident it is not GI related. Of course you could try hormone therapy but whenever you are uncomfortable with one doctor's suggestion you should look further until you are feeling confident and comfortable with your provider. Usually second opinions are welcomed and not every doctor is right for every woman.

I can't tell you what is causing the pain but you should continue to seek help as this should be something that could be treated effectively. Normally endometriosis is diagnosed through laparascopic surgery - the only way to be absolutely certain of the diagnosis.

Good luck in your quest for the right doctor or CNM.

Best wishes

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us