Question: Pelvic Ultrasound

knila3 - Thu Feb 03, 2005 6:21 pm

My doctor scheduled a pelvic ultrasound because I have irregular periods and minor abdominal pain. She told me that the ultrasound tech will use jelly and probe over the pelvic region to capture images. However, the test was a little different than what my doctor describes. The ultrasound tech did the first test my doctor described, and then the tech requested that I empty my bladder so that she can obtain additional images by using a camera. She inserted this device into my vagina and began maneuvering this device to capture additional picture. I asked her was everything ok, but she told me I must wait for my doctor’s consultation. Why does she want additional images? Did she see something abnormal or is this a standard procedure my doctor forgot to tell me about? Thanks for your time.
 Shelly S, RN - Thu Feb 03, 2005 11:53 pm

Hi there. While I can not say for sure that there is, or is NOT anything wrong with your test result, I am lead to think it was merely standard practice. It appears that the technician preformed a transvaginal ultrasound. It could have been for the simple fact that the tech needed to capture certain images that were only able to be captured transvaginally. Also, test results can only be interpreted by the doctor. The tech is merely practicing within her scope of practice and taking caution when divulging information. I hope this helps.

Shelly, SN :wink:
 NikkyLeClair - Thu Feb 10, 2005 9:16 am

I have had 3 pelvic ultrasounds to check for endometriosis, I have severe pelvic pain and an enlarged uterus. Anyway, at all three of them they did the transvaginal ultrasound just to get a better look at the endometrium. It is very standard, and doesn't indicate that the first external pelvic ultrasound was abnormal. On the contrary, it is likely that the external came back normal, so they wanted to see if there was something they messing.

Hope this helps

Nikky, MA