Medical Specialty >> Gynecology

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

Back to Gynecology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/14/2017.

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: abnormal bleeding...please help

Jessss - Mon Feb 07, 2005 12:06 am

If anyone would be able to help, I'd so greatly appreciate it...Here's the deal. I'm 18yrs old, and up until about 6 months ago, I've had a pretty normal menstral cycle...Then, one day, about 4 or 5 days after my period ended, I bled. It just happened once though, so I kinda brushed it off and figured it may have happened because I had just played a rough game of tennis, which I don't do regularly...Since then, after every period, everything is normal for a few days, then for a few days I have light brownish discharge...Then everything is normal again until after my next period ends. Just recently, however, I bled again after my period was over. Just like before the bleeding only happened once, but the light brownish discharge lingered for a few days. Currently, all is normal again...I'm just dreading to see what happens after my next period. If anyone could explain what could be wrong, I'd be really happy to hear from you. I'm terrified of having ovarian cancer or something, so any kind of advice ASAP would be awesome. Thanks!
 Theresa Jones, RN - Mon Feb 07, 2005 5:24 am

User avatar Hi Jessss,
Sometimes after a menstrual cycle women do experience a browish type of discharge because the uterus and vagina has not completely shed their products during menstruation. Hormone imbalances among other things, may also cause this. If it has been awhile since you have had an exam by your gynecologist then I would suggest you make an appointment for an evaluation to assure all is normal.
Sincerely,
Rntdj
 Jessss - Tue Feb 08, 2005 2:27 pm

Hey, thanks so much for you help...I really appreciate it...I do have a gyno appt. on the 21st of March, but considering the situation, do you think that I should go sooner? Like I said before, I'm worried sick about this...but in your opinion do you think something serious could be wrong with me?
 Theresa Jones, RN - Wed Feb 09, 2005 8:51 am

User avatar Hi Jessss,
I think it may make you feel a little more at ease to call your gynelcologists office, explain your symptoms and see if they would like to see you sooner than your regular scheduled appointment. If they do not want to schedule it sooner, then in my opinion that would be reasonable. Keep in mind that stress, hormonal changes etc. can alter menstrual cycles. Don't automatically assume that it has to be something serious rather than a realatively simple explaination. I hope this was helpful :)
Sincerely,
Rntdj

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us