Medical Specialty >> Gynecology

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

Back to Gynecology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/14/2017.

Forum Name: Obstetrics

Question: O positive but Rh sensitized

 Artista - Fri May 22, 2009 6:01 am

I am 14 weeks pregnant so my ginecologist sent me to a transfusion specialist to determine my blood group and Rh factor. It ended up I am O positive, extented blood groupings ccDEe, but my indirect Coombs test was positive. It showed anti-C antibodies from Rh system reacting with red blood cells. So my doctor thinks I am sensitized to red blood cells, but she was not sure why since this is my first pregnancy, and I have never gotten a transfusion, as far as I know I don't have an autoimmune disease, my only surgery was tonsilectomy. She seemed confused and unsure what to do next, so she said to come again in a month to compare results. Do you think my pregnancy could be the reason for this and what should I do next? Can this influence development of my baby or end my pregnancy?
 Brenda Jones, RN - Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:25 am

User avatar Hi Artisia, some other ways that this can occur is through having a previous miscarriage, etopic pregnancy, elective abortion, chorionic villus sampling, and amniocentesis. Do you think it's possible that you may have experienced a miscarriage before but was not aware of it? Some women can mistakingly confuse an early miscarriage for a heavy period. The initial lab test could've been an error. If not, this means you have become sensitized and your antibodies can cross the placenta and attack your baby's blood. They break down the fetus's red blood cells and produce anemia (the blood has a low number of red blood cells). This condition is called hemolytic disease or hemolytic anemia. A mother who is Rh sensitized will be checked during her pregnancy to see if the fetus is developing the condition. The baby may be delivered on time, followed by a blood transfusion for the baby that will replace the diseased blood cells with healthy blood. For more severe cases, the baby may be delivered early or given transfusions while in the mother's uterus. I send best wishes of health to you and your baby.
 Artista - Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:56 am

Thank You for Your answer. It is possible I had a miscarige last year, altough my ginecologist reasured me on basis of beta HCG lab test results and made me belive I had a hormonal disbalance since I was bleeding for almost two weeks after my period. This could be the reason I am sensitized.
I did lab test again last month, the values have not changed, so I am sensitized but amount of antibodies is not rising for now which I hope is a good thing.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us