Medical Specialty >> Gynecology

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

Back to Gynecology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/14/2017.

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: Hood over clitorus is too small

 ariesdog9 - Sun May 24, 2009 3:33 am

I have never had an orgasm and I do not feel much during sex. I do get excited and can feel a hard nub under the skin so I do know its responding but I have found that the hood over my clitorus actually will not allow my clitorus to come out. It forms a circular opening over my clitorus that is too tiny for it for it to come out even when it is not engorged with blood. I was wandering if there is something I can do to make this opening larger or does a doctor have to do it and what it is exactly that they do? I was also wandering if there is a actual name for this problem that I can tell my doctor if I have to see him or do I just have to try and explain it? I would appreciate any help. Thank You in advance.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:02 am

User avatar Hello,
The variation in the clitoral hood is just part of the normal variation of humans. It is unlikely this is the cause of your lack of orgasm since women can have this kind of pleasure even through the hood, which protects the clitoris from overstimulation which can actually be painful. Many women are unable to climax through sexual intercourse but are able to find alternate ways such as direct clitoral stimulation or even oral sex. Perhaps you could experiment with finding what kind of touching helps you to achieve pleasure. It is a bit of an art that can be learned and perfected with practice.

I know of no technique to change this and I suspect any surgical intervention would cause pain while not likely helping with the pleasure. Again, it is very unlikely this is the cause so treating this would be senseless.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us