Medical Specialty >> Gynecology

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

Back to Gynecology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/14/2017.

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: 40+ tampon period in last 12 hours with clotting

Tsimpson3 - Sun May 24, 2009 5:10 am

Four the past four months my periods have been very heavy with clotting. I started my period late friday night and since 6 pm saturday evening to present have used more than 40 super plus tampons. I have also bled through 4 pads in the time I have dosed off. I know from reading that heavy periods are not a huge concern, but when should I be worried. I had my blood work done two weeks ago and I was not anemic, but will waiting until Tuesday to call the doctor be okay?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:53 pm

User avatar Hello,
Soaking more than one tampon or pad every hour over several hours is cause to see your doctor. Anemia can take a little while to develop but with this kind of flow, there is a danger so you need to find out why this is happening. I would call the doctor and you probably will need to be seen.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us