Question: fetal development

bkrueger42 - Fri Jun 06, 2003 7:07 am

My daughter is 30 weeks pregnant. She had her first US on Monday. A radiologist was consulted during the US, they could not find the baby's femur bones. Should the baby's legs be seen in the ultra sound? Or is it common not to see the legs?
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Fri Jun 06, 2003 8:29 am

User avatar Dear bkrueger42,
I am not a gynecologist or a radiologist for that matter, but I can tell you this: The femurs are one of the things used to assess growth and development of a fetus. It should be seen by the 30th week and is actually best measured by the 14 week of pregnancy. I do not know what your doctor means by saying he cannot see the femurs. It could be a technical problem. If the baby had any congenital abnormalities your doctor would tell you directly or he would request further investigation. You are best to discuss this with your doctor directly. Did the report for the US come in? If so then post it here and I will try my best to help.