Medical Specialty >> Gynecology

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

Back to Gynecology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/14/2017.

Forum Name: Obstetrics

Question: IS IT IMPLANTATION BLEEDING OR BREAK THROUGH BLEEDING?

YOUNGCARRIEA - Wed Feb 09, 2005 10:39 pm

:? I HAVE BEEN ON BIRTH CONTROL (ORTHO TRI-CYCLEN LO) FOR A LITTLE OVER THREE MONTHS. I AM SEXUALLY ACTIVE. I WANT TO BE PREGNANT BUT MY BOYFRIEND DOESN'T. I WAS DOING SOMETHING VERY MEAN, AND I DECIDED TO MISS 2 ACTIVE PILLS (THE LIGHT BLUE ONES) IN ORDER TO ACTUALLY OVUALTE. I STARTED BLEEDING ON FEBRUARY 8, 2005 (MY LAST PERIOD WAS ON JANUARY 26, 2005). IF IT WERE IMPLANTATION BLEEDING IT WOULDN'T BE UNTIL FEBRUARY 17, 2005...I WAS JUST WONDERING IF IMPLANTATION BLEEDING COULD COME SOONER THAN I THOUGHT OR IF IT WAS JUST BREAKTHROUGH BLEEDING FROM MISSING 2 PILLS...PLEASE, I NEED TO KNOW...I AM SCHEDULED FOR SURGERY TOMORROW AND I NEED TO KNOW IF THERE IS A CHANCE THAT I AM PREGNANT SO I CAN POST-PONE THE OPERATION & X-RAYS. EMAIL ME AT YOUNGCARRIEA@YAHOO.COM, REPLY TO THIS, OR IM ME ON AOL/AIM AT NAVYGIRL0515....PLEASE HELP ME! I NEED HELP WITHIN THE NEXT EIGHT HOURS!!! PLEASE HELP!!
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Thu Feb 10, 2005 4:12 am

User avatar Hi YOUNGCARRIEA,
First let me tell you that this forum is no place to evaluate yourself 8 hours prior to surgery. Your doctor is the one that should be asked this question. This forum is only here to help you understand. In that sense I will provide you with information but will not answer your question.
It is the first few pills of the cycle which are critical in stopping the process of ovulation. As such "break-through" ovulation, though rare, can occur.
Implantation bleeding can happen at the time the fertilized egg implants in the uterus, on average between 6 to 12 days past ovulation.

Call your doctor even if this is not pregnancy going into surgery with break through bleeding without telling your doctor may be hazardous!

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us