Question: Light Spotting First 6 weeks

LREDO - Thu Feb 10, 2005 9:45 am

My wife has been spotting almost every day for 5 mins or less .Although it is very light we do have some concerns.She is now entering the 7th week and we went for an ultra sound .We were able to see the babies heartbeat but the nurse told her that she could not say why she was spotting and that it was up to her doctor to tell her but , the day before her doctor said 19 times out of 20 it is usually ok .So i guess we are having mixed emotions .She did have a miscarriage a few months ago so obviously we are worried .I understand that every pregnancy cannot be 100% perfect during the whole 9 months and does not always work out .Is it possible that her doctor will say that she is not out of the woods yet ?Or that she is at risk of her body aborting again ? I do not wish to hear what i want to hear , just what else are we possibly against besides what i have mentioned.She is to call her doctor next week .Any replies would be much appreciated by my wife and i.
 Theresa Jones, RN - Fri Feb 11, 2005 6:59 am

User avatar Hi LREDO,
Let me start my saying how sorry I am about the previous pregnancy. So I certainly understand you and your wifes anxiety. Some women do have light spotting especially during the first few weeks of pregnancy. One reason may be implantation bleeding. This occurs during the first trimester and approximately 25% of women experience this type. It's usually light pink or brown in color. This occurs in particular because the tissue that surrounds the egg is attaching itself to the uterus lining. As it attaches it sorts of eats through the mothers blood vessels and forms "blood lakes". When these are very near the suface it often causes implantation bleeding.I would not be able to say that "she is out of the woods" but keep in mind that about half of the women that experience bleeding during pregnancy do not have miscarriages. If the bleeding appears as stated above and there is no pain etc., although I'm sure this is difficult but try to stay calm. Good Luck to you both and I hope to see a post from you in about 33 weeks to announce your new addition!
 LREDO - Fri Feb 11, 2005 9:57 am

Hello Rntdj !
First of all i would like to thank you for your reply .Some of the things you mentioned sounds familiar to my wife and i ,some i did not know anything about .It is a little difficult to stay calm but my wife and i are a strong couple and always get through all challenges and grief we come across .She had know idea that i had took it upon myself to search for help .Although this is my first time on this site , you have been most helpfull and have given me alot of breathing space .My wife is at work but will come home for lunch . I will definately leave the forum open so she can read your reply as well .
Just to update you a bit , yesterday was the first time she did not spot all day .I am hoping for more positive effects as the days,weeks ,months go by .I will definately keep you up to date as to how she is progressing and with no questions asked tell you wether we have a boy or a girl.
Again thank you .My wife and i will never forget this site.
 Theresa Jones, RN - Sat Feb 12, 2005 8:50 am

User avatar Hi LREDO,
I'm glad to hear there has been at least one day with no spotting. It's my sincere hope that the pregnancy goes well and is uneventful from here on out. I would very much appreciate a post from time to time for updates and progression. Again good luck to you both and I hope that all proceeds well! Thank you for using https://www.doctorslounge.com
(Theresa)
 coys - Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:49 am

hi LREDO, i am in the same boat as your selfs. my wife also had a MC before christmas and is know pregnant again. the last pregnancy didt go well as the pregnancy tests never came back with a strong line and from about week 5 she had bad cramps and then heavy bleeding. we decided to enjoy christmas and ne yaer and start trying again after all the festive times were over.
she will be 7 weeks pregnant in two days but yesterday called me at work and said she has spotted slightly after going to the toilet and after a bath, she didnt any more but we decided it best to go to the hospital to be on the safe side. they took blood test to check hormone levels and booked us in for a scan today (im just leaving fo it).
we decided to go stright to hospital as when we googled the problem every one said that this is what they suggested, also they all had said how they had spotte and everything was ok so hopefully we will both join this group of happy people and the advie given by Rntdj will be true to us.
Rntdj..... i would also like to extend my thanks as, although it wasnt my question you answered, your answer is the most helpful iv foun which is why i have joine this site to say thanks.
will let you know how today goes but please don't hold your breath on a reply quickly as i work in a place where internet access is not accessably all the time and i also do shift work so logging on is not on my top 'to do' list but will deffinatley let you know.

good luck to us both and chat soon.
sam, UK.