Medical Specialty >> Gynecology

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

Back to Gynecology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/14/2017.

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: Vulvodynia or std?

amiller - Tue May 26, 2009 2:27 pm

I have redness only in one area of my vagina, inside my left inner lip between the labia minora and majora. It has been there for a few months now. It hurts to have sex and it also irritates me when am sitting. There are no bumps but it is swollen a little. I don't have any discharge. Could it be an std even though i haven't had sex with anyone since last year? Or vulvodynia? Or am I just not cleaning the area enough?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:27 am

User avatar Hello,
I would suggest seeing a doctor because this has persisted for so long. It could be something like a herpes infection. These can come and go and sometimes there are no symptoms so you could have been infected some time ago and only now experience anything concerning.

I don't believe it has anything to do with your hygiene. If you wear very tight pants it could be an irritation sore.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us