Question: IUD (Mirena) effectiveness after 5 years

pdocherty26380 - Wed May 27, 2009 6:30 am

I had been fitted with a IUD (Mirena) just over 5 years ago (5years 1.5month approx) and am due to have this removed in 3 days. Recently I have been feeling and being sick, which is not like me, and am wondering if there is a possibility of pregnancy here. I will ofcourse speak to my doctor very soon but woudl like to hear some advise on whether or not this is possible?

Many Thanks,
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:15 am

It is unlikely since Mirena is a highly effective method and when manufacturers test for a period of reliability, they usually figure in a little wiggle room so at this early date of expiration you are most likely fully protected, though it is advised that you replace it now. I suspect your signs of illness are coincidental but because it is 99.9%
effective; not 100%, there is always a very slight chance of it happening in spite of the IUD. You can always do a home pregnancy test if you continue to have symptoms that do not resolve.