Medical Specialty >> Gynecology

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

Back to Gynecology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/14/2017.

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: IUD (Mirena) effectiveness after 5 years

pdocherty26380 - Wed May 27, 2009 6:30 am

I had been fitted with a IUD (Mirena) just over 5 years ago (5years 1.5month approx) and am due to have this removed in 3 days. Recently I have been feeling and being sick, which is not like me, and am wondering if there is a possibility of pregnancy here. I will ofcourse speak to my doctor very soon but woudl like to hear some advise on whether or not this is possible?

Many Thanks,
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:15 am

User avatar Hello,
It is unlikely since Mirena is a highly effective method and when manufacturers test for a period of reliability, they usually figure in a little wiggle room so at this early date of expiration you are most likely fully protected, though it is advised that you replace it now. I suspect your signs of illness are coincidental but because it is 99.9%
effective; not 100%, there is always a very slight chance of it happening in spite of the IUD. You can always do a home pregnancy test if you continue to have symptoms that do not resolve.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us