Medical Specialty >> Gynecology

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

Back to Gynecology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/14/2017.

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: Tender Abdomen after Pregnancy

soretummy09 - Thu May 28, 2009 5:24 pm

I gave birth to my son 6 months ago but I still have pain to the touch in my upper and lower abdomen. It is a dull pain, not sharp or anything but is it something that I should be concerned about? I do walk about three times a week but I havent been doing any other type of exercise. Also I don't sleep on my stomach, only on my sides and rarely on my back.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:43 pm

User avatar Hello,
I can't imagine what about childbirth that would cause a lingering dull pain in the absence of other symptoms such as fever or sign of infection. If you had a cesarean delivery, there might be some adhesions or something like that but in the case of a normal, vaginal birth, this is puzzling. It is possible it could be merely coincidental and totally unrelated to the birth.

I would recommend you see a doctor about this, though it is not likely to be an urgent concern.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us