Question: Dermoid Cyst on right ovary and I'm 11 wks pregnant

dutchie81 - Thu May 28, 2009 7:17 pm

I'm currently 11 weeks pregnant and I have a dermoid cyst on my right ovary. I've known about the cyst since 2002 but my mom told me not to have it removed since it was so small at the time. Well now the cyst is at 4 cm and I am told that with my pregnancy it can make it grow bigger and there is a chance it can rupture in which it will cause a spontaneous miscarriage. Is there any surgery or anything that can be done to prevent the complication of the dermoid cyst? I am considered high risk due to my weight and also because of the dermoid cyst.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:22 am

The size of your cyst is still quite small and can usually be watched through pregnancy with monthly scans. In some cases surgery is performed in the second trimester when anesthesia is less likely to affect the baby's development, though miscarriage is always a possible complication. Doing anything early is really not an option. Chances are it will be OK, but if it grows to be more than 5 cm there is a greater chance of torsion (twist).

I would recommend limited weight gain and sensible eating in your pregnancy to help reduce your risk. A daily walk or other exercise such as swimming would also help.

Good luck with your pregnancy.