Medical Specialty >> Gynecology

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

Back to Gynecology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/14/2017.

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: Spotting after Morning After Pill to be expected?

roadrunner - Fri May 29, 2009 9:06 pm

Hello,
I am a 25 year old with no GYN medical problems. I was on birth control pills (orthotricyclen) previously. I started taking antibiotics (for acne. no longer taking) for 3 months and at this time I stopped taking my bcp. About 2 weeks ago a condom broke and I took the 2 morning after pills as directed. The next day I started back on my birth control pills. This week, which is 2 weeks from taking the pill, I started spotting a little dark brownish color. However, tonight I started spotting a brighter red color. I'm having a some abdominal pain/stomach unease that is mostly centralized. I wanted to know if this was to be expected especially since I started taking my birth control pills after taking the morning after pill? Thanks to anyone who can advise!
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sun Jun 07, 2009 6:28 pm

User avatar Hello,
This is a very common response to plan B, which is a very strong hormone. I would not be concerned and chances are it will resolve without intervention. It can upset your cycles and take a few months to regulate again. Don't be worried about this side effect.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us