Medical Specialty >> Gynecology

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

Back to Gynecology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/14/2017.

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: Postpartum Menstruation

shelle339 - Sat Feb 12, 2005 7:42 pm

I gave birth to a 6 pound 2 ounce baby girl in June of 2004. The pregnancy was extremely easy as was the delivery and recovery. I breast fed her for 7 months when she began to wean herself. she is now almost 8 months old, i haven't nursed her for over two weeks, but i still have not had a period. is this normal?
 Kathy C, RN - Sun Feb 13, 2005 11:13 am

Hi!

Return of periods after childbirth

The length of time before a woman’s periods return following pregnancy is largely influenced by whether she is breastfeeding or not. The hormone that stimulates milk production, prolactin, also inhibits ovulation and the return of menstruation. Therefore, women who are fully breastfeeding may not menstruate for months or until breastfeeding ends. The return of menstruation in nursing mothers depends upon the frequency and duration of feeding and whether the feeding is supplemented. Generally, women who are not breastfeeding will resume normal menstrual cycles between four to eight weeks following delivery.

Hope this helps.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us