Medical Specialty >> Gynecology

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

Back to Gynecology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/14/2017.

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: Discomfort after Orgasm

 CattyRatty - Sat Feb 12, 2005 9:06 pm



I was wondering if anyone could help please. After orgasm, I get a strong feeling of discomfort behind my clitoris and close to my bladder. The best way I can describe it is as a feeling of pressure there. This is eased slightly by a hot-water bottle, but always wakes me up at night. The night after an orgasm, I will have to get up maybe 3-4 times as going to the loo seems to relieve it for a short period, but I have not had a single night since this began (about 2 years ago) when I have not had to get up once (even when I have not had an orgasm for a few weeks). I also find that I get very emotional after orgasm and feel on edge. I have had a cystoscopy and there is no inflammation of the bladdar, I have been inspected by a gynaecologist and had scans and everything is normal and all test results come back normal. I have tried various prescribed drugs from Amitryptyline to Oxybutynin, Imipramime, Cephalexin, Co-Amoxiclav, Erythromycin etc etc etc, but nothing helps. Imipramime and Amitrypyline even made it worse. As I said, it all started about 2 1/2 years ago (my boyfriend and I started having sex about 3 years ago). This discomfort would be spasmodic at first, only happening once every month or so and not lasting for longer than a day, but about 2 years ago, I remember having an orgasm with a very full bladder and it was then that it really began in earnest. I also had a very bad Urinary Tract Infection about 2 1/2 years ago which was successfully treated with antibiotics, but not before it had got to the point where I was having severe pain in the area of my kidneys.

I am 22, have only ever had one sexual partner, have never had any distressing sexual encounters, am otherwise healthy and am becoming so depressed and frustrated at the situation.

Does anyone have any experience even vaguely similar to this? Or any suggestions as to what might be the problem? I saw a specialist recently and she suggested that it might be related to the nerves in that area and prescribed me Imipramime, but as I've said, this just made matters worse. I am at a dead end. Please please let me know if you can help at all.
 shelle339 - Sat Feb 12, 2005 9:57 pm

I'm sorry i don't know the answer to you problem. I hope you find a solution soon. Have you spoken with a urologist? It sounds like you had a pretty bad UTI a while back.....maybe there could have been some damage caused by it? just a suggestion. best of luck to you.
 CattyRatty - Sun Feb 13, 2005 9:15 am

Thanks very much indeed. Yes, I saw a urologist and he was convinced that it was eiher urethral syndrome or interstitial cystitis. He sent for lots of tests such as uro-dynamics and all came back fine. When the cystoscopy said that there was no inflammation and that the inside of my bladder was perfectly normal, then IC was out of the question, I subsequently saw a different urologist who said that there was no way that it could be uretheral syndrome as I didn't have the correct symptoms so I am back at square one! I am currently seeing a urogynaecologist, but she frankly admits that she doesn't have a clue so it is all going to be trial and error. Usually, that would be fine, but I have my end of University exams in a few months so time is running out to make sure I sleep ok in the run up to them and during them. She did say, however, that she thought that the UTI might have affected the nerves in that area so you could be on to something. I will try to follow it up with my doctor or press the point with her.

Thank you so much for your concern and suggestion.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us