Question: very embarrassed...abnormal vagina?

courage - Sun Feb 13, 2005 12:43 am

Okay... :oops: I am 26 and have never been sexually active. I don't plan to be until I am married. I was wondering though. I like to clean out the excess blood from my vagina during my period. I do this while showering and with my finger. I find my actual flow is a lot less this way. When I stick my finger "up there" there is a large ball like thing It is the size of a quarter in diameter. It is pretty hard. Is this normal? If so what is it and what's it's function? If it's not normal, what could it be and what should I do? I noticed it first around 14 yrs of age. :oops: I haven't noticed anything to ever alarm me. It has just always bothered me. My regular doc always talks about doing pap smears and stuff and I never make an appointment. I have never had any kind of gynecological exam.
 courage - Mon Feb 14, 2005 8:32 pm

:cry: Okay, I am obviously not going to get a reply from a medical professional. Several people have looked at my post. I don't care who you are. Can someone please tell me if you at least have this or not? :cry:

Any reply would be much appreciated!
 Theresa Jones, RN - Wed Feb 16, 2005 5:18 am

User avatar Hi courage,
If you noticed this area when you were younger and it is still present I would not be too alarmed. However, I would suggest a gynecology exam especially since you have never had one. With that being said, the vagina has different areas of tissue textures due to the muscular coat etc. There is also an area of tissue approximately 2 inches up inside the vagina also know as the urethral sponge. This area tends to swell with stimulation and feels differently from the other areas of the vagina. It may be possible that this is what you are feeling but again I would suggest an exam.
 alaaelfeky - Wed Feb 16, 2005 7:46 am

dear courage... I"ve just read you inquiry.. and I read the reply given to you by Rntdj...I agree with her that there is probably no need to panic, and that you probably are feeling something normal, I think you are touching the lower part of your uterus that bulges into the upper vagina... we medical people call "The cervix" ... It feels like a firm fleshy part, and as long as it doesn't hurt nor you feel any discharge coming out of your vagina... you are most probably OK... Having said that, I really think you have to follow Rntdj's advice and have a Gynecologic check-up,.. It won't harm to be sure..
GOODLUCK
 courage - Wed Feb 16, 2005 1:21 pm

Thank you so very much for your replies! You have no idea how comforted I am by your words. Thanks again!
 missmoo - Thu Feb 24, 2005 10:12 am

sounds like you've found your cervix sweetie :) As long as it doesn't hurt when you touch it, all is good :wink: