Question: Cervical Polyp

starless - Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:03 pm

My doctor says that I have a cervical polyp and that I can have it removed if I want too. I have had no symptoms and had no clue there was anything wrong until she pointed it out. She didn't tell me I HAD to have it removed though and she didn't seem worried because I didn't have any problems. However, I am on the pill (for quite a while now) because of heavy periods. Could this mask symptoms or cause the polyps? How does this affect me? Will it turn into cancer or make me infertile? I'm only 22! I'm really quite afraid of surgery and would rather avoid it if I can. Thanks for your help!
 Debbie Miller, RN - Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:02 pm

I would expect no serious problem from leaving things as they are for now with watchful waiting. You should have your regular annual pap smear exams to monitor if there are changes, but these polyps are quite common and almost always benign (non-cancerous). At some point the doctor may want to evaluate the polyp in a lab to be sure but it would be extremely rare for it to be a problem.