Medical Specialty >> Gynecology

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

Back to Gynecology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/14/2017.

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: Several/Constant Vaginal Infections

 grannycore - Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:57 pm

I have had several vaginal infections within the past few months.

I have been in a monogamous relationship for four years and have been tested for all stds including 2 blood tests for herpes, all of which have come back negative.

However, I have had a Bartholin's Gland Cyst, bacterial vaginosis, possibly cervicitis (the doctor wasn't sure if that was definitely what it was, but she said my cervix was swollen, so she just went ahead and treated me for it just to be safe), I've had several reoccurring yeast infections, foliculitis on my lower buttocks and the back of my upper thighs, and just a constant itching and burning irritation in the vulva area.

It is not usual for me to have all of these problems, but no doctor that I have gone to seems to be able to give me any real answer.
I am wondering if I should be concerned about this or if there is any suggestions? I was thinking that maybe diabetes could be a concern?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:49 pm

User avatar Hello,
If your doctor hasn't screened you for diabetes, this certainly would be one possibility since infections can be harder to fight in diabetics. Other conditions can also cause your immune system to respond poorly (immunodeficiency). Perhaps you should get a second opinion. Be sure to document your history with all the details so you can share it with the doctor. Perhaps seeing an immunologist/allergist would be one option since this is recurrent.

Good luck with this frustrating condition.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us