Question: Miscarriage

rayray728 - Tue Feb 15, 2005 9:30 am

I recently had a miscarriage and had a uterine evacuation performed last week. I have visited my gyn&obs today and the doctor performed an ultrasound. The doctor found that remnants remain after the uterine evacuation and prescribed cytotec. I am wonder if I really have to take this medication and what will happen if I wait for my next period. Will my period clear the remnants from my uterus?
 Theresa Jones, RN - Tue Feb 15, 2005 10:23 am

User avatar Hi rayray728,
I'm sincerely sorry about your miscarriage. The problem that may arise with placental remnants left in the uterus is abnormal bleeding and infection. One of the uses of this medication is to induce labor (cause contractions) to shed the remnants. Other options to correct this is a D & C which involves scraping the uterus. Either way, I would not suggest leaving things as they currently are and waiting for your menstrual cycle.