Question: No period for six months i'm 15.

JazzyE5 - Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:19 am

Hello, I'm 15 almost 16 and I started my period last may, I haven't had a period since the end of january, i've been rather stressed out and depressed since then. I'm not sexually active and I am a virgin. I have booked an appointment at my doctors (it's a man) what will he do? Or say and ask?
Thank you for any answers : )
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:07 pm

User avatar Hi JazzyE5,

It is VERY common for young women to be irregular in the first year or two after starting menses. It may simply be that your body has not yet fully adapted to the new hormonal cycles.

Your doctor will likely ask you questions about any other symptoms you may have been noticing, like headaches, abdominal pain, etc. He will also likely ask a fairly detailed history of your menstrual cycle and if there have been any days of spotting, etc. He'll also probably want to know about your family history, such as how old your mother was when she started her period and if there are any hormonal type problems in the family.

Generally, a pelvic exam is not needed in virginal girls, although an external exam is likely to assess response to hormones (e.g. is pubic hair developing indicating an increase in hormonal levels).

Some blood work may also be needed to measure hormone levels of various systems.

If, at any point during your visit, you have questions or are uncomfortable, just let your doctor know so that adjustments can be made. It is important that you are comfortable with your doctor so you feel you are getting good care. Overall, you have nothing to worry about with your visit. I'm sure your doctor will be totally professional and understanding of your concerns.