Medical Specialty >> Gynecology

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

Back to Gynecology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/14/2017.

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: Avoiding menstration.

 youngozzie - Sun Sep 06, 2009 2:23 am

I am a 44yr old woman who has her tubes tied. I am looking for a way of not menstrating for a while as i have a lot of overseas trips coming up. Is there a way of avoiding this, with out use of the contraception pill. Is there an implant or someting else that i could use?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sun Sep 06, 2009 8:31 am

User avatar Hello,
There are a few ways to disrupt menstruation artificially.

One is surgical menopause, due to hysterectomy.

A second is the use of oral contraceptives, which you have expressed interest in avoiding. Extended-cycle birth control pills contain active hormones for every day of the month and Lybrel is one low-dose pill that's designed to be taken continuously for one year, with no breaks. It is meant to suppress all menstrual bleeding. Seasonique and Seasonale are two that are designed for you to only have four periods a year through hormone-free days. Ordinary birth controls will do the same thing if you skip the placebo or non-pill days.

Third is use of a hormone-containing IUD such as Mirena but this is not a guaranteed side effect; just a common one after the first few months when some women actually have heavier periods while their bodies are adjusting. If you were to choose this method, it is likely your periods would eventually cease or decrease considerably but it would take a while to know if this would be the case for you.

Aside from these methods, I am not aware of any other way to manipulate your periods artificially. I would recommend speaking with your doctor as well.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us