Medical Specialty >> Gynecology

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

Back to Gynecology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/14/2017.

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: Extreme/Disabling cramping, family history of endometriosis

 tooka - Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:20 pm


I'm a 28 year old female. I first got my period when I was 10 years old and ever since I have had extreme cramps to the point of the pain being disabling causing to frequently miss work/school. My mother has endometriosis and she has urged me to consult with my obgyn for a long time. Every time I've asked they have told me that I am ok but without doing any sort of testing. My mother insists that there are non-invasive ways to screen for endometriosis while my doctors have told me there are not.

The most 'logical' explanation for my point of view as a non-health professional was that apparently my body create some cysts which are filled with fluid and these pop during my cycle which causes me extreme pain. This was told to me after my doctor performed an endovaginal ultrasound.

Even with a prescription for birthcontrol (Ortho-Cyclen) and muscle relaxants (naproxen) the pain is unbearable a lot of the time during the first 1-3 days of my period. It hurts from around the belly button area all the way down to my knees. Should I continue to press for some further screening? I am just not sure what to do. After all these years I guess I've learned to live with this but this is no way to live.

Thanks in advance for your help.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:03 pm

User avatar Hello,
Nobody should have chronic, excruciating pain without getting help. You deserve to get a proper diagnosis and treatment. If your doctor determines that you need to be evaluated for endometriosis, the procedure is actually quite minimally invasive and you should not be afraid of it. Some testing to rule out possible causes are non-invasive. Find a gynecologist for a complete evaluation. Take notes with you so you don't forget symptoms. It is important for your history to be complete so the doctor can best treat you.

I promise it is worth it to find the actual cause.

Best wishes.
 butterflykiss3s03103 - Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:47 pm

Hello. Your post caught my attention and I felt the need to respond due to the fact that I went through the same thing. My menstrual cycle was excrutiating, nothing helped the cramps at all. I went to my gynecologist, and i had a surgical procedure done, which was a one day surgery center kind of thing. That is the only way the doctor can really tell if you have endimitriosis or not, and it is not nearly as painful as it sounds. What the do is they make 3 incisions, one going through your belly button, and two small (about a 1/2 an inch) incisions right above your hip bones. They doctor puts a small camera into your uteris I beleive through your belly button, and if there is endomitriosis, it gets removed right then and there. I was terrified before i went in for the procedure, about the pain, but it turned out to be very simple, and my menstrual cycle is regular and I barely cramp at all now. I wish you the best of luck with your decision.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:40 am

User avatar Thanks Butterfly...

Your personal experience is very helpful and provides important details and reassurance. If the problem is indeed endometriosis, this should be a welcome opportunity for relief. If other testing reveals another cause of the pain at least there will be a proper diagnosis and treatment.

Take care to you both.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us