Medical Specialty >> Gynecology

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

Back to Gynecology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/14/2017.

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: Sex Hurts - Why?

 Bikin2005 - Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:13 pm

Recently sex has began to hurt - I am not sure what the cause could be. My boyfriend has a small scar on his penis, that is fairly rough to the touch - could this be the cause? If so, what can we do?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:58 pm

User avatar Hello,
If sex did not hurt before but does now, it is not likely due to the penis scar. Most likely you have some type of infection that is causing you pain or perhaps abrasions due to rough or too-dry sex. Add a lubricant and/or try a condom if you don't use one now to see if that helps. But, there are causes for painful sex such as endometriosis or infection so if it continues, you should see your health care provider.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us