Medical Specialty >> Gynecology

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

Back to Gynecology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/14/2017.

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: My pelvic pain feel like it goes through to my back

 problems101 - Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:25 am


Still searching for answers. What are the 2 indentations on either side of the spine above the start of the butt crack? When my pelvic pain gets bad, it's like that dimple bulges, I can feel a fatty pocket in there. obgyns think it's a muscle/ilionguinal nerve issue. I simply don't know,

Any suggestions would be helpful
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Sat Oct 17, 2009 1:24 am

User avatar Hi,
From your description,what you are describing as dimples in fact,are normal features in some individuals.... these dimples are a surface marking for the sacro-iliac joint. Sometimes a bursa overlies this area.These dimples are called variously as 'sacroiliac dimples' or 'dimples of venus'. These dimples are more common in women than men.In some, the dimples are better felt than seen.
What you have perhaps is arthritis of the sacro-iliac joints.
An orthopedic consultation should sort this out.Cheers!!
 problems101 - Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:55 am

After your reply, I went back through my test results that I've been collecting & in 2007, I lost the ability to feel the need (and ablility) to urinate the urologist, wanted me to have spine x-ray to rule out "congenital abnormalitits.

The test says "no evidence of congenital abnormalitiy. there is an element of degenerative facet disease at L4 -L5 and L5-S1 wth scleross at the artcular facets the sacrolac joints are unremarkable dscs are normal in stature the vertebral bodies are unremarkable in appearance."

I don't know if this helps with your thoughts.

I really would like to get answers, It's so hard many of my doctors have just shut down.

I really appreciate your time and thoughts
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:08 pm

User avatar Hi problems101,
Thank you for your reply.
However,there are a few points about low back aches and back pain in general, which i would like to share with you...

- Actual cause of a back pain is more often than not very difficult to pin point.
- In many cases of back pain, X-rays turn ot to be normal!
- in cases where a vertebral anomaly is discovered incidentally on an X-ray, there may not be any complaint related to the back!!
Thus, it becomes very difficult to label a vertebral deformity seen in an X-ray as the cause of one's back pain.

Your initial query was about the dimples over your sacral area.
I still stick to my previous answer.

Saroiliac joint disease could be either
a) sacroiliitis or
b) sacroiliac joint dysfunction.
Sacroiliac joints are difficult to examine clinically (although a number of clinical tests and signs have been described).
These should be interpreted carefully since false positive and false negative test results are common.
Sacroiliitis can be diagnosed fairly well on X-rays but, sacroiliac joint dysfunction is much more difficult to diagnose by X-rays alone (often a clinical diagnosis).

I hope this info is of use to you.Good luck!
 problems101 - Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:27 am


I went for a 14th opinion and seen an endocrinologist/fertility doctor who also does chronic pelvic pain because he see it so much in his infertility patients, ( I had a tubal so I'm just looking for the pelvic pain issue to be resolved. BTW 42 never pregnant)

When his nurse did the internal ultra sound my most painful areas, she told me were near an ovary, He believes I have adenomyosis. the wall of my uterus is thinner on one side than the other & he wants a pelvic MRI.
That night I had a horrible pain flare It felt as if I should pop my leg out of my socket for relief (like you'd do to separate a chicken). I mentioned this to him & he asked if I ever had my hip checked (NO)

So are there people that have chronic pelvic pain related to hip problems?

Ruled out so far, is endometriosis, hernia, myofascia problems, IC, vular vestibulitis, A year ago I had laparoscopies and we have pictures of my ovaries I think they were mostly OK but there was a small cyst that was drained. Endometrial ablation was done to stop my heavy bleeding & long term spotting.

any thoughts?
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:57 am

User avatar Hi,
I think there is some confusion about what you mean by "pelvic" pain and what i understood by it! Do you by any chance call pain in the bony pelvis as 'pelvic' pain? In sports medicine hip pain & pelvic pain are at times used synonymously and also to refer to pain in any part of bony pelvis.
What i mean by pelvic pain is the pain arising out of structures(viscera) located in the pelvic cavity.This Chronic pelvic pain (CPP), to the best of my knowledge, is unrelated to hip disorders.
Best wishes!
 problems101 - Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:49 pm

your meaning of pelvic pain is correct. I think he's just trying to find answers. this pain is mid way between the pelvic bone and my belly button and it's deep inside. When she did the internal ultrasound, it felt like she was getting so close to the source of the pain, but that night, the pain was horrible. I guess when I told him" I'd love it if I could pop my hip out of it's socket to release the pressure feeling"-- he thought to rule out hip trouble. the truth is it's over 2 years of looking, no one knows, my local doctors have given up, except they will keep giving me pain medications for flares.

And since they've mentioned referred pain, what if some damage in the hip is making me feel "pelvic pain". maybe that's possible?

The endocrinologist/fertility doctor is thinking it's adenomyosis, I will get the MRI. I'm not sure what to expect. I've had an endometrial ablation (novasure) so I don't know how much of the uterus wall is actually exists for the suspected endometrial tissue within the myometrium (as it was explained to me).

I'm just looking for answers, I'm sick of this pain and my husband is sick of having me in bed on pain killers. We're grasping for anything and trying not to break our bank account at the same time.

I have been told my brain may not be shutting off the "pain receptors" however the 1200mg of gabapenting a day seem to make me slow down & unproductive.

I guess I'm just one of those that there is no answer for but I keep feeling someone out there has an answer. I've even volunteered for medical studies but have been turned down.

Thanks for your reply
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:42 am

User avatar Hi,
To the best of my knowledge,there does not seem to be a condition in the hip that is said to cause 'pelvic' pain. Thank you for keeping in touch.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us