Question: Lump on vestibule

tash - Thu Feb 24, 2005 12:56 am

I have a large (maybe 2-3cm) lump coming from my vulva/vesibule, right next to almost in my vagina. Its the same pink as the rest of the vesibule, and it doesnt hurt unless I push on it (duh). It does not hurt during sex. Sometimes it does feel mildly weird, but not painful. It seems to get larger and smaller at times, but I just recently added it to my chart to see if there is a pattern. I will be ovulating this weekend and it is rather large now.

I first noticed it when I was on Nuvaring last year. I was on bc for aprox one year, first the patch then due to discomfort, I swiched to the ring. I stoped taking bc because it was affecting my sexual desire (and my ability to produce adequte luberication). I was diagnosed with HPV and cervical dysplasia when I went for my pap in order to get my bc after I got married.

My cycle is very regular, even now after being off bc for only 5 months I have been at 27 days for 3 months now. (26 days the 2nd month, on bc it was 28-31)

I went to the emergency clinic when I first noticed this lump. The doctor who looked at me thought it might be a cyst, but he didnt know the diffrence between the vulva and the vestibule, so I don't entirely trust his diagnosis. (at least he admited that he didnt know and didnt just send me home with some antibodics or something)

I would post a pic, but I don't have anywhere online that I could put up such an image. If a pic is needed tell me where to put it.

Anyway, I really just want to know what this is and why it is there. I have searched the internet but havent found anything like this.

Thank you.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Tue Feb 07, 2006 5:14 pm

Cystic vaginal lumps include: vaginal mucous cyst, cyst of the canal of Nuck, Bartholin's cyst, Skene's duct cyst, epidermal inclusion cyst, furunculosis.

Bartholin's gland are located posterolateral part on either side of the labia minora (at 4 and 8 o'clock positions). The glands are normally about the size of a pea and are not normally palpable. They drain into a duct approximately 2.5 cm long which opens just outside hymenal ring into a fold between the hymen and the labium.

The gland's secretions provide moisture for the vulva but are not essential for sexual lubrication; and removal of the gland does not seem to decrease vaginal moisture or sexual function.

Bartholin gland cysts develop from cystic dilation of the duct following blockage of the duct orifice. They are generally 1 to 3 cm in size and are usually asymptomatic.

When symptoms occur, the patient may report vulvar pain, dyspareunia, inability to engage in sports and pain during walking or sitting. Bartholin gland cysts tend to grow slowly. Since noninfected cysts are usually sterile, routine antibiotic therapy is not necessary.

When they do become infected they can lead to abscess formation.

Treatment includes antibiotics when infection is suspected, or surgical management. Simple lancing of a Bartholin gland cyst or abscess may result in recurrence. More effective treatment methods include use of a Word catheter and marsupialization, both of which can be performed in the office.

Please seek an appointment with your gynecologist if this condition still persists.