Question: Brown discharge, changing period

joon - Fri Feb 25, 2005 3:29 am

I know y'all probably get sick of reading about this, but I couldn't find anything that fit my case on the first one and I"m a little too tired to more fully research the second issue, so I'm just going to shoot both of these at y'all at once:

My guess is that both of these are connected, so I'll start at the beginning. My period has changed significantly in length of time I have it over the last several months. I went from a very normal very regular period that lasted about 5-7 days to now a period of about 3 days...and I"m not sure this month's lasted even that long.

In past months recently I've had a brown discharge immediately afterward that would last about two days, sometimes three. Because it came so close to my period i considered it normal and still think it was based on the small amount of research I've done. This month, however, we a little different. My period ended very abruptly and with no brown discharge about a week ago. Yesterday, I began gettign a brown discharge that for the most part resembles the other discharge except that it only appeared on the toilet paper after wiping (wow, that last part is like saying a duck has feathers, but I think you get what I mean - it never wound up on my panties). Right now I'm feeling a slight discomfort in my abdomen that I hadn't actually noticed before (that's how minimal it is) that may or may not be related.

Other important information: I had sex with my husband last night for the first time since significantly before my period, so I don't think it's pregnancy related. One interesting thing to note is that I started wearing tampons for awhile but found it difficult to monitor my flow so this time I used strictly pads. By the end of day three there was nothing and no brown discharge (no significant about of discharge at all, actually). I"m 21, nearly 22 - in April.

So, my questions are: 1. What's with the brown discharge? It's thicker than normal and does not appear to be the same sort of discharge I have right after my period. (I'm awful with remembering this stuff, so it might actually have been longer since my last period...I think it's only been about a week though).

and 2: What might be causing my decreased length of periods? My guess is it's not menopause ;)

Thanks in advance for any help! ...Wow. I'm sorry this is so long!
 LondonUK2005 - Thu Aug 25, 2005 1:01 pm

I felt weird and thought I was alone in this... I have always had either a regular period or what I used to call "dirty period" ie brown discharge and some PMS symptoms without actually having a period with blood.

This was even before I met my husband at 22 and started a physical relationship with anyone.

Now in this month I have had almost constant brown discharge with some blood now and then, and also know it's neither pregnancy (I avoid sex where possible, easy in a long term relationship...) nor should it be the menopause (I am almost 30)

Sorry I cannot help you as to "why" but wanted to say that you're not alone.. and I hope that someone will know the answer... or at least offer some advice on this matter!
 8900 - Sat Sep 03, 2005 9:37 pm

Hi :D
I am 21 I am not married never have had sex but have missed the last 3 months of periods.I have had my period for the last 7 years, my Periods were regular and lasted 5-8 days. March - May they lasted 2-4 days. Even without the periods i have felt bloaty, emotional and even have had period pain but nothing happened. i have also noticed a liquid discharge light yellowy brown. I am on a anti depressant (for last 2 years) but i never noticed any change until recently.
Please help :?:
 LondonUK2005 - Tue Sep 06, 2005 2:11 pm

Mine were clockwork until 15 or 16 then that started... where I would get no periods but still get PMT... sometimes VERY bad.

I'm sorry that you have that problem, it was nicer to think i was just a freak!
 MsMelanie - Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:14 am

I am 22... and I have been having period problems for years.

During my mid teen years, I was athletic and I didn't get my period for months sometimes... but then once I got to college it was pretty regular until the middle of my first year. I went on the pill to regulate my periods- however, the pill made me ILL and depressed. I tried various pills- ortho cyclen, ortho tricyclen, lo ovral, and two others that i cannot remember the names of. All of them gave me bad side effects. During the summer of 2004, I had my period for the entire summer(3 months, can you imagine?) I became anemic and had to take iron supplements. The doctor put me back on the pill because she worried that it would not stop. I went back off of the pill because it made me feel horrible.

After going off of the pill, my period had regulated itself and it was like clockwork for about a year- usually with bad cramps.

Then in the last 3 months I started to notice that my cramps were hardly there, if at all, which was unusual for me (but I wasn't going to complain!) My period then skipped a month, but then it came the next month and stayed for weeks. Now this month my period came early, but it was not a normal period. It has been a brown discharge that is thick with blood in it sometimes. I have had this for 3 weeks with mild to moderate cramping in my abdomen. I am getting very tired of period problems, and I don't know what to do about this brown discharge. It is very uncomfortable and I do not want to go on the pill again. I hope there is someone out there that can help!!!!!