Question: 7 Weeks pregnant with unusual cramps

carbca - Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:39 pm

I am 7.5 weeks pregnant and I have noticed that since my 6th week of pregnancy I occaisionally get these unusual cramps. They are not round ligament cramps as I have been having those off and on for the last 2 weeks and know how they feel (like localized menstural cramps). Every 3-4 days I have an excruciating cramp that runs from hip to hip in a slightly downward arc. It feels almost like I have been cut open. I find it helpful to breathe heavily through the cramp which has me doubled over and incapable of doing anything else. After 30 seconds to a minute the cramp alleviates completely with no signs of achiness or abnormality. The first time it happened, I thought for sure I was miscarrying, but I have had no spotting or unusual discharge and my pregnancy symptoms have continued. Should I be concerned and what exactly is going on??
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:57 pm

I'm afraid I can't say what is causing this. Your abdomen does contain a number of organs - bladder, bowel, as well as uterus and others. Cramping sensations can originate from any of these. If it is just occasional and not continuous, I doubt it is serious but early pregnancy pain can be a symptom of ectopic pregnancy so pain should not be ignored. If it worsens or lasts longer you should see the doctor.

Best wishes for a healthy pregnancy.