Medical Specialty >> Gynecology

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

Back to Gynecology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/14/2017.

Forum Name: Obstetrics

Question: 7 Weeks pregnant with unusual cramps

carbca - Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:39 pm

I am 7.5 weeks pregnant and I have noticed that since my 6th week of pregnancy I occaisionally get these unusual cramps. They are not round ligament cramps as I have been having those off and on for the last 2 weeks and know how they feel (like localized menstural cramps). Every 3-4 days I have an excruciating cramp that runs from hip to hip in a slightly downward arc. It feels almost like I have been cut open. I find it helpful to breathe heavily through the cramp which has me doubled over and incapable of doing anything else. After 30 seconds to a minute the cramp alleviates completely with no signs of achiness or abnormality. The first time it happened, I thought for sure I was miscarrying, but I have had no spotting or unusual discharge and my pregnancy symptoms have continued. Should I be concerned and what exactly is going on??
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:57 pm

User avatar Hello,
I'm afraid I can't say what is causing this. Your abdomen does contain a number of organs - bladder, bowel, as well as uterus and others. Cramping sensations can originate from any of these. If it is just occasional and not continuous, I doubt it is serious but early pregnancy pain can be a symptom of ectopic pregnancy so pain should not be ignored. If it worsens or lasts longer you should see the doctor.

Best wishes for a healthy pregnancy.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us