Medical Specialty >> Gynecology

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

Back to Gynecology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/14/2017.

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: Breakthrough bleeding, no period, possible cyst?

chubbymalone - Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:42 am

I've have been on Alesse on and off for the last 4 years and on the pill on and off for the past 14 years. I have not had previous issues with breakthrough bleeding before but my doctor was sure that's what it was. The bleeding lasted up until a day or two before I finished my pack and I did not get a period at all.
I started my new pack and have a couple of days left right now. I have sore breasts but that has been normal about a week before I get my period. What isn't normal this time is how big my breasts are. I'm up a cup size and haven't had any recent weight gain, I've actually lost about 5lbs in the last month thanks to regular exercise and healthy diet. Pregnant? I sort of doubt it but don't rule it out.
My fiance and I are very sexually active and the pill is our only form of birth control. I have an appt with a gyno. on Nov 6th for a previous condition that my doctor referred me for. I have a lump that causes discomfort in my left pelvis area and I suspect that I have an ovarian cyst (I have had one before). I have also been dealing with extreme fatigue in the past several months. A vitamin B12 shot has helped a little with that.
My doctor hasn't given me much insight into any of this, can you shed some light for me?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:09 pm

User avatar Hello,
Hormones can cause the symptoms you describe - not just female hormones but also thyroid so I'm glad you are seeing your doctor. I would recommend having some lab work done to check for anemia and hormone problems which can cause the fatigue you describe. It can take a while to correct an iron deficiency.

Abdominal pain is hard to pinpoint since the abdomen has so many organs. Of course a cyst cannot be ruled out and this is another good reason for seeing your doctor. I suspect the reason the doctor has not given you a lot of information is because it will require further investigation to get a diagnosis.

Of course you can take a pregnancy test to see if you might be. About 1% of the women using oral contraceptives does become pregnant. Your risk is increased if you missed two or more pills during the cycle.

I'm sorry I can't give you more information here but I would be guessing.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us