Medical Specialty >> Gynecology

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

Back to Gynecology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/14/2017.

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: Abmormal bleeding??

 Dawnti - Sat Feb 26, 2005 11:50 am

I am 37 years old and I am married and have 4 children, all normal pregnancies, all 4 delivered by c-section. My last child was born in May of '99 and I had my tubes singed and burned at that time. Since then, every month, my periods have gotten increasingly heavier and heavier. I pass enormous blood clots, and have very intense cramping with these clots, and sometimes I can pass one by "pushing" it out. I have to use tampons and pads to keep from having any embarassing leaks. I use "super plus" tampons, that's the biggest you can buy, and they start leaking about an hour after they have been in. This only occurs during my 2nd and 3rd days, after they pass, it usually pretty normal. My periods are regular, and last about 5-6 days, but this heavy bleeding, and the blood clots have really got me worried, and it seems to increase every year. Any advice you can give me would be appreciated. Thank you.
 Dawnti - Sat Mar 05, 2005 12:15 pm

I have had this post up here for a long time now....I don't understand why no one will reply. I'm pretty sure that this not life threatening, but I still would like some advice none-the-less. Thank you.
 perdrho - Fri Mar 11, 2005 7:40 pm

Hi- I just joined today. I'm an OB doc, just looking to volunteer some time. Sounds like you should really see one of us for a couple things- a check on your blood count to rule out anemia, an exam-to check for abnormal growths of the uterus, possibly an ultrasound and might consider the use of some meds to control the heavy bleeding and cramping.

Although you've had your tubes tied, in many cases the use of birth control pills will give you some needed control, decrease in bleeding and improvement in cramps. We do this all the time for cases like this. The only times I don't like it in a 37 yo is when they smoke.

Some things you can do before going to the doc are-take Motrin at least every 6-8 hours as soon as your period starts. Drink plenty of fluids, and a multivit with some iron to help with the blood loss-but truly-consider seeing your doc!

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us