Question: What causes brown streaking instead of period?

Wonderingwhatswrong - Sun Oct 25, 2009 4:04 pm

My period was to start on the 23rd. All I have had so far was very light brown streaking. I am tired and also have had some breast tenderness mostly along the sides. And some cramping (pulling) when I get up off a chair. Should I go see my doc. Or is it normal?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:01 pm

Usually this is nothing to worry about and does not warrant a trip to the doctor. If you are sexually active, missing a period or having a very scant bit of blood can suggest pregnancy so if you think this is a possibility, you can take a pregnancy test. These are usually accurate within a few days of missing your period.

If you are not pregnant, it is probably just due to some normal variation. Brown usually indicates old blood as opposed to fresh blood, but it's perfectly normal.

Wonderingwhatswrong - Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:03 am

Thank you for the quick response. I have since started my cycle , and we are trying to get pregnant, with lots of miscarriages so I was a little paranoid. Thanks again feeling so much better.