Medical Specialty >> Gynecology

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

Back to Gynecology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/14/2017.

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: Bleeding uterine fibroid treatments?

 jewel1953 - Sat Oct 31, 2009 12:03 am

I have uterine fibroids that bled out for almost six weeks, hemorhaging at times. My gynecologist put me on high strength progesterone even though I told her that the low dose had a severe affect on me. I was given 12 pills - one a day - and repeat the same the next month. I didn't get thru the 12 pills as it severely affected my diabetes and depression. My family doctor treated me for the horrible side affects. My gynecologist won't consider surgery. I am looking for an answer but haven't been back to this doctor since she didn't listen to me when I told her about side affects from progesterone. Can anyone help me out? I am 56 yrs. old and have had periods until this year which has only been the fibroids bleeding.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:16 am

User avatar Hello,
It sounds like it's time for a second opinion. If you don't have a good, trusting relationship with your doctor or you don't feel heard, you should see someone else. You will feel more confident if both doctors agree or perhaps someone else will find an acceptable solution to your problem. Is it because of your diabetes that your doctor does not wish to do surgery?

Your health care plan may determine who you can see, so you should start there but you can ask friends for a recommendation or even the hospital. Sometimes the nurses on the floors where that type of doctor works (women surgery) can help you find a doctor you can feel good about.

Good luck with this frustrating condition.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us