Question: HCG Levels after miscarriage...

Precious7477 - Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:32 pm

My LMP was Sept 19, 2009. I had a positive pregnancy test on October 23rd & 24th. My periods are very regular. On October 28th I started bleeding heavily and cramping for a good 4 days, with very dark brown blood on the fifth day. I new I was miscarrying. I went in for blood work on that day of the first bleed and my levels were 35 then that friday they were 39. Then I went in this Monday the 2nd and they were 56. On tuesday I finally got to see my Ob/gyn she did a vaginal ultrasound and everything looks ok no bleeding or sac, ovaries looked clear etc. So it seems it was a very early miscarriage. She wants me to continue on Monday with another HCG level blood work taken to make sure it goes down.
My question is~ #1~why did these go up after the bleeding has ended. Is this normal? She was not concerned but said she wants to see the levels go to 0.
And #2~ could i have an ectopic preganncy etc even if i feel great? I guess i am worried about this level leading into something serious?
Please..What are your thoughts?
Thank you.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:18 pm

It varies but it can take up to six weeks for hCG levels to return to 0. I would not suspect pregnancy with these numbers and ectopic pregnancy does have symptoms so the fact you feel great would suggest no problem.

Good luck with your future pregnancy planning.