Question: POLYCYSTIC OVARIES, WORRIED ABOUT CANCER.

jazzle - Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:32 am

HI I AM 29 AND I WAS DIAGNOSED WITH POLYCYSTIC OVARIAN SYNDROME WHEN I WAS 16.

i HAVE NEVER HAD ANY TREATMENT FOR THIS AND NOW I AM GETTING WORRIED ABOUT ENDOMETRIAL CANCER AND WHAT DAMAGE COULD ALREADY BE DONE?

IN MY EARLY 20S I DIDN'T HAVE MANY PERIODS AND WHEN I DID THEY WERE VERY HEAVY AND PAINFUL.THEY ARE MORE REGULAR NOW BUT STILL HEAVY AND PAINFUL.

HAVE I LEFT IT TOO LATE TO ASK FOR TREATMENT? I AM SO SCARED THAT LOTS OF DAMAGE HAS ALREADY BEEN DONE. THANK YOU
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sun Nov 29, 2009 3:31 pm

Polycystic ovary syndrome is not a cancerous or even precancerous condition though the results of it may predispose you to some forms of cancer. For instance, being overweight or obese raises your cancer risk and this is often one effect of PCOS. Estrogen is also affected estrogen-sensitive cancers such as endometrial and breast cancer may be associated with PCOS but not a lot is known about this.

PCOS is a very complex hormonal and metabolic disorder that represents a threat to your good health. So, it makes sense to get treatment but it's not a simple thing. Some doctors just prescribe birth control pills, but I think it is more than that since blood sugar and insulin are also affected by it. Medications such as Metformin and anti-androgens may also be required.

You should see your doctor annually for normal pelvic exams and pap smears but I would not expect you to be in real danger here just because of the PCOS. However, in order for you to achieve optimal health, you should address this problem. It's not too late and most likely no irreversible damage has been done.

Good luck in this journey to good health.