Medical Specialty >> Gynecology

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

Back to Gynecology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/14/2017.

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: was the rigt diagnosis made on P.I.D condition

honeybun - Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:50 pm

i had an i.u.d inserted.3 weeks laer i had a check up done and was found to have profuse growth of E.Coli, i was given antibiotics to clear it up.later on i developed a lower right abdominal pain, i went back to the hospital 4weeks later and they did an ultrasound. i was diagnosed with mild P.I.D and given doxycycline 2x per day for 7 days, amoxycllin 1g 2x per day for 7 days and metronidazole 3x per day for 7 days. after completion the pain had subsided but was stil slightly there so i went to a gynae, an HVS was taken and culture done and was found t have moderate growth of E.Coli that was only susceptible on gentamycin and septrin, so i was on septrin 2x per day for 10 days. i finised and went back for a folllow up and another HVS test and culture is to be done but after i finish my periods.as of now the pain is rarely there. when i googled this P.I.D condition the treatment they say is supposed to be taken for 14days but i was given for days. i told my gynae but he said i was given the correct doseand il be fine. but am stil worried if m completely cured? or its stil silently there. plus does my boyfrind need treatment to prevent my reinfection?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Fri Nov 27, 2009 5:11 pm

User avatar Hello,
Your diagnosis sounds accurate to me. Antibiotics are generally used for 10 to 14 days; some for shorter duration. The important thing is to complete the prescribed dose. The 14 days would be a few extra for "good measure" but the 10 day treatment should be adequate. Some infections are resistant so it is important to return to the doctor if you have a recurrence of symptoms. That's about all you can do - watch and see - to know if the treatment is effective.

Your boyfriend should not require treatment.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us