Question: Help am I menopausal or just crazy????

Resa40 - Sat Mar 05, 2005 10:52 pm

Hi, I am truly hoping someone can help me because my doctor is frustrating me. My periods have been pretty normal. When I get stressed or sick I might be late. My problem is that on Dec 6 normal period, Jan 6 rolls around nothing but I tell myself you just moved from Germany so this is stressful you will probably be late. Which I was, I started Jan 12 and I normally last for 4 days so on the 16th I quit. Then on the 24th I started again and it lasted 7 days. So February rolls around and nothing on the 6th and the 12th. On Feb 25th I started lasted a day in a half and not heavy at all which is what you would have expected being that late. I do not have a decreased sex drive if anything else it is heightened. No dry vaginal walls. I have been pregnant 11 times, 4 live births, 3 ectopics and 4 miscarriages. Due to the ectopics I only have 3/4 of one tube left. I am told that I still get pregnant but it would be slim. I don't feel pregnant. Also no hot flashes and no problem sleeping only staying awake.
Thank you,
 Theresa Jones, RN - Sun Mar 06, 2005 4:03 am

User avatar Hi Resa40,
During the few years prior to menopause women enter a perimenopausal stage. Menstrual irregularities where cycles can be heavy, light, shorter, longer, may occur.Other symptoms generally begin presenting themselves as well. Rule out pregnancy, with a pregnancy test. If you have not had a physical exam recently, I would suggest this be completed as well, to rule out any anomolies (thyroid disorders etc.) If all checks out normal I would atrribute the changes to perimenopause.
 Resa40 - Sun Mar 06, 2005 4:14 am

Thank you for responding. I do have a thyroid problem depending on what month it is my thyroid could be over or under active. It goes both ways. I have already had gyn visit and have not received any bad news. Have taken both a urine and blood test. The urine was negative and since I have not received a call from the doctor I am supposing the blood is also negative. The wierd thing about that is, is that my last 2 pregnancies I had the blood test and they came back negative and it turned out that I was pregnant I miscarried one and the other one was my last ectopic. I am curious is it normal in this stage to have heightened sexual drive? I have read that you lose your sex drive etc. My doctor wants to give me hormone shots. I am not sure if that is the way that I should go.
 Theresa Jones, RN - Sun Mar 06, 2005 4:26 am

User avatar Hi Resa40,
Hormones would make your cycles more predictable. I would hope though that your thyroid problem was regulated prior to this though since this could be the attributing factor rather than initiation of hormone replacement. If you have had ectopic pregnancies in the past and have also had negative urine and blood samples, prior to starting hormone replacement it would be wise for your physician to do an ultrasound to rule out an ectopic pregnancy etc.
 Resa40 - Sun Mar 06, 2005 8:06 pm

Thank you. Deep down inside I knew that I should ask for more to be done than just having the doc put a bandaid on the situation. Being a dependant in the Army you only get 10 or 15 min with a doc and they are so busy getting people in and out that they only want to bandaid things rather than try to really find out what is going on.
Thanks for all of your info.