Medical Specialty >> Gynecology

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

Back to Gynecology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/14/2017.

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: Leaking brown urine, smelly fluid after period finished.

squirrelc17 - Sun Nov 15, 2009 5:14 pm

I finished my period last sunday and since then i have had a brown fluid leaking from me, it is not a sitcky discharge, almost like it in my urine. but slowly leaking the whole time and there is an unpleasant odour.
i have had to wear a sanitary pad the whole time for the past week.

I am not on the pill but take 2 pills (transanemic acid (SP??) and mexafemic acid(sp??))to reduce heavy bleeding during my period.
I am a virgin so it can't be sexually related.
i am quite worried and find it very difficult to go to the doctor as i work full time and don't get much notice of days off. i also find it very embarrasing.
is there anything i can do???
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:53 pm

User avatar Hello,
Sometimes old blood can be released following a period and it will be brown rather than red. But, it should not be continuous so you should see a doctor if it doesn't stop on its own. There are infections you can get that are not sexually transmitted so you need to be sure of a correct diagnosis and treatment - only possible by seeing a health care provider.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us