Question: absent period - can i 'induce' with the pill?

sydney1884 - Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:27 am

I havent had my period for 4 months now. I have since done 3 pregancy tests which have all come up negative, so i know im not pregnant. I was wondering if i should use the pill to 'induce' a period. i havent used the pill before but i have a pack that my doctor said to use once i got my period, which obviously hasnt come yet. can i start it now? because i also want to use it for acne reasons.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Fri Nov 27, 2009 3:03 pm

You can start oral contraceptives at any time and if you are using it primarily for acne, there is no problem. If you want it as a birth control, you should use a back up method for at least two weeks, and ideally for the first full cycle of pills. The reason we usually start after a period is to be sure you aren't pregnant first, and to assure you aren't about to ovulate sooner than the pill would protect you from.